My so called year

Well, since I will have the year of my life (hopefully)and since I am so bad at keeping in contact, my sister urged me to start a blog so that you all can get to know what is happening and how I am succeding (or miserably failing) in my attempts to make the world a better place.

Monday, November 27, 2006

So I've been thinking about these kids...

When I think of an orphanage I picture poverty, grey walls, rats, kids in bad health shape not looked after being very unhappy. And then I look at the kids at CDCC and sure they have rats running around, and sure their clothes are torn and no one ever wipes their runny noses, their teeth has rotten and they are all malnurished. But besides this... I seldom see them cry, I seldom see them fight and they have a staff that looks after them. I am working at a really nice orphanage and I am aware that there are many places around which are a lot worse off. The director of the place he keeps saying they need money for this and for that but they don't really need it and these kids are being very spoiled in a way cause there are a lot of people that have heard about CDCC and keeps donating things to them. (which is great, don't get me wrong I'm not saying they shouldn't have these things I'm just saying that there are other places that could use some of these contribution and some of teh attention that CDCC has). The only thing these kids are actually missing is freedom and individual attention.
Also unlike many other orphanage the kids here when they first arrive are expected to hug each and every one of their new brothers and sisters, this leads to a sense of family and I think that is the reason why there are so few problems between the kids and they keep touching each other, it's a place full of love which is great. However I wonder what will happen in the future when they are let out in the Cambodian society which is rather cold and unfriendly. It scares me to think what a shock they will recieve and I wonder how many of them will be able to cope. So I guess the problem is to find a middle way of bringing up these kids. Either way, they are llovely and the best part of the day is when Saphorn or Samnang asks for my attention. Sai sabok! Sok Sabai!

Anyway, Friday I went out to a bar for a while- nothing special, Saturday the boys had decided to go out dancing, it ended up with me dancing having a blast and them wanting to leave- I need to go out dancing soon again it made me feel so good. and Sunday I went to Wat Phnom and saw monkeys and an elephant (oh and here's a pretty picture of what Cambodia is like, when watching the monkeys I turned around and looked to the right and there was a little girl taking a dump right next to me... lovely- as I hope you understand I decided to get p and leave then. Cambodia......)

Hmm anything else.. mm don't think so... Ciao

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home