My so called year

Well, since I will have the year of my life (hopefully)and since I am so bad at keeping in contact, my sister urged me to start a blog so that you all can get to know what is happening and how I am succeding (or miserably failing) in my attempts to make the world a better place.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

So...

Well.. I tried uplaoding pics yesterday but it just went so so.. I'll try mre another time but now you at least seen something right?:) okay so well...
Wedensday: didn't really feel too well so I stayed at home and just chilled.
Thursday: Went to the center and had our first two classes. The first one between 9-11 then lunch and nap and then the next class between 2-4 then home...
Friday: same thing. (we have five groups of students in different levels) Okay SO! Impressions.. it is quite intense to be a teacher but the biggest difference I notice here and from back home is how grateful all the kids are here to be thaught. While at home most people and children take it as something which doesnt need to be reflected over it is a right without an obligation. In Cambodia there isnt a chance that you would here a child screaming stupid bitch to the teacher which is truly impressive... however this comes with the side effect of you dont have any students questioning the teacher. Also what we noticed the biggest problem w will have is to get their understanding. The thing is that they know a lot of words but, they do not really understand the meaning of them neither are they able to put them in to a context. they know the word color, they know the word like and they know the word you but if you ask them what color do you like its like asking a dog. they look at you with empty eyes more or less. So no concept of questions, answers or even sentences they only know how to memorize. But i guess all in due time... we have one class wich mostly consists of 6 year olds and it makes me want t laugh when someone expects a 6 year old to sit down and try to understand the concept of questions.. maybe im being patrionizing but still... according to me it would be easier with them to teach them pure words and then just play a game... just so that they would get used to the school system... i guess that is one part of the swedish school system which i strongly suport... we do not force anything and we let kids be kids kinda..
Tomorrow we will work out a curriculum for the next coming weeks and Ive actually realised that Im mostly here for my own sake (yes i know this sounds truly wrong but thats the truth and i dont think anyone else here would be able t truthfully dissagree) I want to be here because i want to be able to get this experience and learn from it and if I in the mean time am abe to give these children something then thats just great... then ive given them something which they wouldnt have gotten if i werent here and thats enough isnt it...? (do you get my point or does it seem like im just rambling?)
spaking about the connection between me and the kids i am starting to feel a bit torn... today is saturday and we arent obliged to go their but pparently they have dancing class on saturdays and i said that i would come. and then when i get there there is this one little boy who is just beautiful but today when he sees e he says hello and then goes away, normally he clings on to my arm but not today. instead he runs away and comes back some time later and then he turns around and he shows me that on the back of his jacket he's written in both english and khmair first my name then his name.... ad well its really sweet but im scared that well everything is so intense and it feels like im on a train which is runnin greally fast and if i dont find a way to slow down it will soon crash. it is a truly frightening feeling since i can sense that even though all these kids are just lovely the train is still going in a too intense pace and it would be fine if it was only me on the train when it crashes but at the moment there are all the kids on it and im so scared they will get hurt. And the funny thing is i do not know what the wall ill crash with looks like i can just sense it is coming... very scarry.. ( i am fully aware of that I most probably do ot make ANY sense what so ever but i hope you understand at least some of it or the essence of it)
right... However, the funny thing to my dilemma is that in spite of all this i till feel like spending every single moment there.... hmm.... well besides this lingering feeling of the silence before the storm (is that what you say?) I am fine.
Hope you are too and take care of yourselves!
Akun

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home