My so called year

Well, since I will have the year of my life (hopefully)and since I am so bad at keeping in contact, my sister urged me to start a blog so that you all can get to know what is happening and how I am succeding (or miserably failing) in my attempts to make the world a better place.

Friday, March 16, 2007

Rushing through a beautiful Vietnam

Vietnam is AWESOME! Been back for a while now and I'm sorry i haven't written. Feels good but Vietnam was really amazing. Thought I would give you an update on how it was:

We started of taking the bus from Phnom Penh towards Ho Chi Minh City, as we were rolling in to the city we were immediatly struck by a difference between Cambodia and Vietnam. We couldn't quite figure out what it was but after some discussion we came up with a theory.
Cambodia has been take over so many times by so many people trying to come in and make the country better, its just that they have all left or been kicked out half way through and left the Khmers unable to finish it off and then new people have come in and the cycle has been repeated and thus created a complex mix and great confusion while as Vietnam when it was colonialised was colonialised in a structured and organised manner and the poepl doing it followed through. (this is meerly a theory and not exactly to the point with actual facts.. but its still interesting to think about) anyways.

We spent two days in Ho Chi Minh City which to me basically just seemed like any other big city in the world. Don't get me wrong I like it and it was pretty but it wasn't anything special.. As far as sightseeing is concerned we saw the Cu Chi tunnels which is where the Viet kong hid from the americans during the war it was tiny hey talk about claustrophobic. Then we saw the war museum and the reminecense palace (im not really sure if this is what they were called or not but something like it) then we took a nigth bus to.....
Nha Trang which is just a really pretty beach place. I woke up in the morning at about five i think as we were driving towards the place which is located in a bay kinda and we came from a mountain in front of it.. Oh MY Gosh what a view to wake up to. I think it was at this point that I realised how incredibly blessed Vietnam has been with the beauty of the nature. This was only reinforced through out the trip. Anyways, we stayed two days here as well, first day we just laid on the beach and on the second we went oin one of the most surreal boat rides I have ever been o I must say. We were three boats that stuck together and well the people working on the boats were some characters to say the least.. The trip started of quite normal but after lunch they decided to put on a show for us with a home made drum, a real guitar and three guys with microphones.. after singing a few vietnamese songs they said that they could sing a song in any language and surprise surprise they actually knew a swedish song, it took them a while to figure it out but to my astonishment they started singin and I was actually able to detect something that sounded liek dar de harliga lagrarna bor... impressive. after this the toursits were dropped of on an island but since there was an entrance fee we decided to stay on the boat and lovely as we are we managed to get invited to the top part of the boat were the staff had a party which resulted in them getting more drunk then the passengers... Most interesting. The guide that had started the trip so enthusiastically ended it with a look of drunkness looking forward to go to sleep.. hehe after this we got dinner and just managed to catch another night bus to...
Hoi an, where we arrived early morning and I realised that I had probably sent a monk into eternal sin.. Without knowing it I had spent the entire night beside a monk and due to the lack of space bodyparts were touching... oops anyways, in Hoi An all three of us were kind of worn out and the energy level ws low but oh my there were a lot of pretty things and I just wanted to BUY BUY BUY!! So in all honesty I'm happy we only stayed one day otherwise I would have probably left a with a considerable amount less money. However in Hoi An I did see another sign of the friendliness of Vietnam. I was trying to take pictures of the sunset nd the river and the boats and thi sman saw me and waved me on to his boat just so that I would be able to get a good picture with no expectation of getting anything in return.
We left from Hoi An to Hue which wasn't all that mostly just an old city with a huge flagpole!
Now then, as I said we did a miscalculation which meant that we ended up spending 6 days in Hanoi, ahich we found to be absolutly bloody freezing! The first two days we kept busy with sightseeing but then the next two days our mood fell which resulted in mostly walking around town and for dinner ordering pizza and eating it at the hotel room while watching TV. But the last two days were fine, we saw Halong Bay which was pretty and then the Perfume Pagoda which was really really interesting!
Well as happy as I was in Vietnam, two weeks were enough and as I entered the border back into Cambodia I felt like I was home... :)
(As you can tell I got Kind of bored writing and I hope I didn't bore you too much)
But yes Vietnam is beautiful and I'd recommend it to anyone!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home